Youth Science Institute (YSI) is looking for passionate, dedicated people to join
our team of Instructors. At YSI, our instructors work with students leading hands-on activities
that are designed to engage students and help students develop critical-thinking skills. As part of the YSI
education team, you will gain practical experience working with children and be part of a team that
serves nearly 30,000 students per year in Santa Clara County. This part-time, flexible position is ideal for
students working towards a degree in education, child development, or a science-related field.Responsibilities:
• Assist in the implementation of educational programs at sites throughout Santa Clara County
including our 3 Science & Nature Centers (Alum Rock Park, Vasona Lake County Park, Sanborn
County Park), school sites, community events, festivals, etc.
• Teach science and place-based lessons to children and adults in an outdoor, field-trip setting
• Set-up before and clean-up following education programs
• Assist with materials preparation for events and education programs
• Maintenance of exhibits
• Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities
• Handling of live animals (training provided)
• Maintenance and care of live animals (including holidays and weekends)
• Other projects as necessaryQualifications:
• Passionate about science education and working with children
• Able to work in varying conditions (indoor and outdoor)
• Positive and enthusiastic
• Interested in working for a non-profit
• Flexible and willing to take on a variety of tasks
• Able to work autonomously or in a group
• Dedicated to the ideals stated in the Youth Science Institute’s missionRequirements:
• 2 or more years of experience in a teaching or related field
• A degree in science, education, or environmental studies preferred or equivalent experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Computer literate in MS Office Suite
• Can work independently and respond to changing priorities
• Posses a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and have access to a car
• Must undergo criminal background checks, including fingerprints, through the database of the California Department of Justice and the national FBI criminal database. Must also show evidence/verification of a negative TB skin test reading less than two (2) years old.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Lift up to 30 poundsSalary Range:
$12-14/hour depending on experience. The field-trip season peaks in the fall
and spring, with limited hours available during the winter and summer.To Apply:
Please fill out Employment Application
and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Program Administrator is a support position reporting to the Program Director. The administrator assists with all aspects of scheduling Youth Science Institute (YSI) School & Group Programs, Science Safaris, third-party community events, and weekend Science & Nature Center openings.
Activities include the registration, data management, and appropriate staffing of YSI’s diverse programs. This includes the preparation and management of invoicing and collections for all programs. Coordination with school teachers, parents, the public, and YSI staff is ongoing throughout the year.Reports To:
Program DirectorFLSA Status:
This position is scheduled to work Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Program Administrators may be assigned to out of office sites by the Program Director.The Program Director may require attendance of the Program Administrator at assignments on weekends and evenings.Responsibilities:
• Providing customer service to classroom teachers
• Maintaining the School & Group Programs calendar
• Scheduling YSI instructors to teach the programs
• Managing and tracking key data for grants
• Managing school registration forms and invoices
• Responsible for maintaining, organizing and stocking YSI school and program marketing collateral, and teacher and student evaluation forms in a central location for YSI Adjunct
Instructors to obtain at the Vasona Administration site. Restocking orders and requests will be given to the Program Director to ensure products are ordered with proper lead times to guarantee ongoing supply needs are met
• Facilitation of grants for school programs including meetings with grantor and schools
• Answering phones
• Assisting with the Vasona Nature Center and drop-ins including tours, sales, and stocking of gift items.Additional Responsibilities:
• The Program Administrator may from time to time be assigned to assist in instruction by the Program Director. These responsibilities include but are not limited to advance preparation and cleanup afterwards of all programs, becoming familiar with all program materials and curricula provided by YSI, delivering programs, preparing teacher kits, picking up teacher kits, and conducting presentations involving live animals, on an as-needed basis.
• The Program Administrator may from time to time be assigned to assist with animal care by the Program Director.
• Support summer camp by teaching camp, taking calls, assisting with registrations, roster preparation, assisting parents, children, and YSI Instructors including Summer Camp Instructors.
• Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.Education and Experience:
• 3 years of education or similar administrative experience
• Bachelor’s degree preferredSalary Range:
$15-$17/hour depending on experience.To Apply:
Please email a completed Employment Application
and resume to email@example.com
Human Resources Payroll Administrator:
Youth Science Institute (YSI) is looking for a passionate, dedicated HR professional to join our
staff as the main point of contact for Human Resources and Payroll. As part of the YSI team,
you will gain practical experience working with and supporting our staff. You will be part of a
team that serves nearly 30,000 students per year in Santa Clara County.
This is a part-time position reporting directly to the Executive Director and is scheduled to work
at least 5 hours per day for 3 days per week, for an average of 15 hours per week. The
schedule has some flexibility, and at busier times of the year you will be expected to work up to
20 hours per week. YSI may require the HR Payroll Administrator to work on weekends and/or evenings from time to time.Responsibilities:Recruitment & On-Boarding/Off Boarding:
• Support the recruitment of new employees: develop and post job ads, source and screen
applicants, create offer letters.
• On-Boarding: process new-hire paperwork and ensure fingerprinting, background checks,
and TB testing (if required) are done in a timely manner.
• Process paperwork for new volunteers.
• Off-Boarding: process termination paperwork and final checks, terminate benefits, submit
DOJ No Longer Interested (NLI) forms and remove employees from DMV Employer Pull
Notice (EPN) Program in a timely manner.
• Point of contact for unemployment insurance carrier and unemployment claims.Benefits Administration:
• Manage annual insurance renewals (e.g., directors and officers, package, umbrella,
volunteers accident, workers’ compensation).
• Manage annual employee benefits renewals (medical, dental, vision); coordinate
annual employee benefits open enrollment.
• Point of contact for employee 403b plan.
• Process ongoing HR- and benefits-related forms for claims, disability, workers’ comp,
• Complete workers’ compensation injury reports and modified work plans, as required;
point of contact for yearly workers’-compensation audit.Payroll Administration:
• Input semi-monthly time sheets into payroll system.
• Input employee expense reports for mileage and expense reimbursement and process.
• Prepare and send payroll reports to accounting firm & unemployment insurance carrier.
• Process all checks including final checks for terminating employees.
• Sync timecard data with QuickBooks after payroll is complete.HR Compliance:
• Ensure compliance with current California and Federal Labor Laws.
• Ensure posting of current California and Federal Labor Law posters at each YSI site.
• Update YSI Employee Handbook, as necessary.
• Prepare and fax monthly labor statistics report to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
• Maintain annual proof-of- automobile-insurance records, DMV pull notices, TB testing (if
required) for all employees.
• Lead Safety Committee: maintain accident reporting, coordinate and document all Safety
Committee meetings.General Administration:
• Will act as point of contact for outsourced accounting and human resources service
• Assumes responsibilities for special projects relating to department functions, as
• Orders office supplies, employee business cards, etc.
• Input data for school-program invoicing, as required.
• Other duties as assigned.Education & Experience:
• 2-4 years’ experience working in HR and Payroll.
• High School diploma or GED required.Required Skills:
• Ability to always use tact, diplomacy, discretion, and judgment to ensure confidentiality.
• Experience with QuickBooks Desktop, Intuit Full Service Payroll, and Minute7 is highly
• Skilled in Microsoft Word & Excel.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are a must.
• Willingness to learn and take direction with the ability to work independently while
juggling multiple tasks and responding to changing priorities.
• Ability to create and follow detailed procedures.
• Confidence to complete work as scheduled and devise methods for self-audit.
• Ability to identify and utilize resources to answer questions.Physical Demands:
This position requires individuals to regularly sit, reach with hands and arms, and occasionally
lift 30 pounds. Work is mainly performed in an office setting on the computer. For accommodations to these activities, the HR Payroll Administrator should submit requests to the Executive Director.To Apply:
Please fill out Employment Application
and email to firstname.lastname@example.org